Nergigante Guide: Monster Weakness, Carves & Rewards, Armor Sets – Monster Hunter World
Much of Monster Hunter: World sets you up to faceoff against Nergigante, the eater of Elder Dragons. This fight finally arrives when you reach the High Rank area of Elder’s Recess. Nergigante is a tough opponent, who can easily destroy you if you are not prepared. To help you get prepared for the fight, here is our Nergigante guide. In this guide you will learn about Nergigante’s weaknesses, its carves and rewards, how to fight it, and also see the Nergigante armor set. Let’s get started.
Location: Elder’s Recess
Species: Elder Dragon
- Splintered Thorns
- Thunder 3⭐
- Dragon 2⭐
Breakable/Severable (Weak Points): Horns (weak point), Head (weak point), Front Legs (weak point), Tail
Material (Carves + High Rank Rewards):
ED Bone 3⭐
ED Blood 2⭐
Reward Money: 18000 z
Hunting Quest Text: “The Nergigante’s eyed us from the far side of the Elder Crossing, but now we have a lead on its whereabouts. If we can study it, it may reveal the Crossing’s true nature.”
Characteristics: A terrible elder dragon that appears when other elders are in the vicinity. Its penchant for destruction is well-documented.
Useful Information: Nergigante can recover from wounds almost instantaneously. Regenerated body parts grow harder over time, so attacking them while they’re still fresh is the ideal strategy.
Nergigante Fight Guide
Main Fight Mechanics: Roar + Spikes
Roar: Large monsters have the ability to roar. This ability disrupts whatever action the hunter was doing (stun locks you briefly). There’s not much you can do about it in the early game (you’ll get better armor perks later).
Spikes: Nergigante’s body is covered in spikes. These spikes serve as both protection and as deadly projectiles during the fight. Destroying the spikes on Nergigante will make some of its attacks less effective, but they will regenerate during the fight.
Nergigante is a hard monster to fight as it possess a wide range of available attack moves and can deal serious damage on almost all of them. Here’s Nergigante’s kite:
*I attempted to grab all the attacks I saw. Let me know if I missed some in The Pit.
- Charge – Nergigante charges towards the hunter.
- Charge Smash – Charges towards the hunter and ends the attack by smashing its head into the ground. This attack can also be followed by a spike throw, which essentially is Nergigante throwing out a number of spikes in front of its face (when it brings its head up after the smash).
- Slow Smash – Rears up on hind legs and comes smashing down hard into the ground.
- Shoulder Charge – Lowers should and charges straight towards the hunter.
- Side Shoulder Charge – Rolls to its side and charges the hunter with its shoulder (usually triggers when you are on Nergigante’s sides).
- Jump Smash – Jumps in the air and comes smashing down where the hunter is located.
- Tail Smash – Smashes tail on the ground multiple times if hunter is behind it.
- Front Strike – Strikes out at thunter with front claws if hunter is close enough.
- Wing Strike – Puts both wings into the ground and then extends them outwards
- Flying Smash of Death – Nergigante will roar and then fly up into the air. It will then come hurtling towards the hunter shedding spikes and sending debris everywhere. This attack can one shot you.
Nergigante is the hardest boss you will face in Monster Hunter: World. This elder dragon is both quick and deadly and can easily one shot you if you aren’t ready for the fight. Here are some tips to help you bring down the eater of elders.
- Eat up – Head into the fight having eaten a meal from the Canteen (do this for every fight to make life easier). Eat a meal that gives you increased health and stamina.
- Defense Up – Brings as much defense as possible into this fight. You will need it. Have Adamant Seed and Armorskin ready to use in your inventory.
- Attack Up – Bring along Demondrug and other attack raising consumables. The more damage you deal, the quicker you can end the fight.
- Exploit Elemental Weakness – Nergigante is weak to thunder elemental damage, use this to your advantage.
- Be on your Toes – Nergigante is quick. You want to be on your toes as much as possible during this fight. Get a few hits in and run. Repeat. When it roars and flies into the air, be ready to dodge.
- SOS – If you need to, send out an SOS and get some extra help from the MHW community.
Note: share your tips in the comments and I will add them here.
Nergigante α+β Set (Rarity 8)
Human: All Materials are Nergigante Carves/Drops unless noted.
- Helm – 2x Horn+, 6x Carapace, 4x Immortal Dragonscale, 1x Nergigante Gem
- Mail – 4x Carapace, 4x Immortal Dragonscale, 2x Talon, 3x Elder Dragon Bone
- Vambraces – 4x Carapace, 1x Horn+, 2x Tail, 1x Firecell Stone
- Coil – 4x Carapace, 4x Immortal Dragonscale, 4x Regrowth Plate, 1x Novacrystal
- Greaves – 4x Carapace, 4x Immortal Dragonscale, 2x Regrowth plate, 2x Elder Dragon Blood
- 3 Pieces – Nergigante Hunter (Hasten Recovery): Regenerates your health as you continually attack a monster. Recovery varies by weapon.
Palico: All Materials are Nergigante Carves/Drops unless noted.
- Hammer – 1x Regrowth Plate
- Helm – 1x Horn+
- Mail – 1x Carapace
More: Monster Hunter: World monster guides
Nice guide! I’m still looking for what type of damage he deals though, physical or dragon.. The search continues!