Azure Rathalos Guide: Monster Weakness, Carves & Rewards, Armor Sets – Monster Hunter World
When you enter the High Rank portion of Monster Hunter World, you will learn about monster subspecies. Basically what these are, are monsters you’ve fought before, but they in a harder variant. One monster subspecies you will fight is the Azure Rathalos. Like Rathalos, the Azure Rathalos can be found in the Ancient Forest, but is much harder to battle. To help you win the fight versus Azure Rathalos, use our Azure Rathalos guide below.
Azure Rathalos Information
Location: Ancient Forest (HR Only), Elder’s Recess (HR Only)
Species: Flying Wyvern
- Dragon 3⭐
- Ice 2⭐
Breakable/Severable (Weak Points): Tail (weak point), Head (weak point), Wings (weak point), Body
Material (Carves + High Rank Rewards):
Rathalos Plate ⭐
Rathalos Ruby ⭐
M Hardbone 3⭐
Inferno Sac 3⭐
Rathalos Plate ⭐
Reward Money: NA – Optional
Hunting Quest Text: NA – Optional
Characteristics: An azure-colored subspecies of Rathalos. More mobile than their standard cousins, they locate prey from the air and quickly swoop in for the kill.
Useful Information: Counter its airborne onslaught by observing its flight patterns and finding the right moment to knock it out of the sky. Once grounded, it loses its ability to perform consecutive attacks, making the fight much easier.
Azure Rathalos Fight Guide
Main Fight Mechanic: Poison + Fire+Roar
Poison: Poison in Monster Hunter: World, slowly drains the Hunter’s health. The status effect is denoted by two pink dots above the the health bar. While poisoned, you will also see your health bar turn purple to indicate the health drain. The way to cure poison is to use an Antidote.
Fireblight: When being afflicted with Fireblight, a small flame will appear over the hunter’s health bar (two for Severe), and the red health bar will turn red and begin to decrease. To cure this affliction, simply roll into water once, roll on the ground three times, or consume a Nulberry. When the Azure Rathalos’s mouth has flames in it, you know fire attacks are coming.
Roar: Large monsters have the ability to roar. This ability disrupts whatever action the hunter was doing (stun locks you briefly). There’s not much you can do about it in the early game (you’ll get better armor perks later).
Fighting Azure Rathalos can be a major pain, and is easily one of the hardest monsters you’ve faced up to this point. Azure Rathalos has a collection of moves it will use to against you and it uses them with lightning speed. Let’s take a look at Azure Rathalos attacks.
*I attempted to grab all the attacks I saw. Let me know if I missed some in The Pit.
- Charge – Charges the hunter while on the ground.
- Tailwhip – Like other monsters, Azure Rathalos has a tailwhip it uses if your are behind it.
- Claw (Poison) – While hovering in the air, Azure Rathalos can fly towards with claws ready to strike. This will poison you.
- Firebreath (Fire) – Shoots 3X fireballs while on the ground (similar to Pukei Poison Attack).
- Bite – Will try to bite you when near its head on the ground.
- Dive – Dive Bombs the hunter while flying.
Azure Rathalos can be a tough fight. The monster is fast, mobile, and likes staying airborne during much of the fight. Here are a few tips to help make the fight a bit easier.
- Eat up – Head into the fight having eaten a meal from the Canteen (do this for every fight to make life easier).
- Bring Nullberry, Antidoate and Healing – Make sure you have Nullberry, Antidote and healing on you. Going into the fight without them makes it way harder.
- Wear Fire Resistant Armor: If you have access to it, wear some armor that has good fire resistance into this fight.
- Exploit Elemental Weakness: This isn’t applicable for a first fight (you won’t have access to elemental weapons), but is useful if you want to farm. As noted above, Azure Rathalos is especially weak to dragon elemental damage.
- Attack the Wings: Attack the wings to hinder Azure Rathalos flying.
- Bring Flashbombs + Flash Pods: A well placed Flashbomb or Flash Pod can bring Azure Rathalos crashing to the ground for easy damage.
- Hit and Run – Using the Hit and Run method in this fight is pretty useful. Run in and deal some damage then immediately retreat.
- SOS – If you need to, send out an SOS and get some extra help from the MHW community.
Note: share your tips in the comments and I will add them here.
Rath Soul α+β Set (Rarity 7)
Human: All Materials are Azure Rathalos Carves/Drops unless noted.
- Helm – 4x Scale+, 4x Carapace, 3x Wing, 1x Rathalos Ruby
- Mail – 4x Scale+ 6x Carapace, 2x Wing, 6x Barnos Hide+*
- Vambraces – 6x Carapace, 2x Wing, 1x Tail, 4x Barnos Talon*
- Coil – 4x Scale+4x Carapace, 1x Medulla, 6x Monster Hardbone*
- Greaves – 6x Carapace, 4x Scale+, 2x Tail, 1x Rathalos Plate*
- 2 Pieces – Rathalos Mastery (Critical Element): Increases elemental damage (fire, water, thunder, ice, dragon) when landing critical hits.
- 4 Pieces – Rathalos Mastery (Mind’s Eye/Ballistics): Prevents attacks from being deflected. Also shortens the distance before ammo and arrows reach maximum power.