Teostra Guide: Monster Weakness, Carves & Rewards, Armor Sets – Monster Hunter World
After killing Nergigante, you will learn about three Elder Dragons that are now terrorising the various areas of the New World. SInce we are monster hunters, it’s our duty to find them and kill them. To do this, you will need to search the Ancient Forest, Wildspire Waste, and the Rotten Vale for clues that will unlock each monster’s mission (similar to Nergigante). The Elder Dragon you unlock in the Wildspre Waste is called Teostra, and it specializes in fire. To help you defeat this Elder Dragon, use our Teostra Guide below.
Location: Wildspire Waste + Elder’s Recess
Species: Elder Dragon
- Water 3⭐
- Ice 3⭐
Breakable/Severable (Weak Points): Head (weak point), Tail (weak point), Wings (weak point)
Material (Carves + High Rank Rewards):
ED Bone 2⭐
ED Blood 2⭐
Reward Money: 18000 z
Hunting Quest: Teostra the Infernal
Hunting Quest Text: It’s Teostra that stalks the Waste-Emperor of flame. And now it sits in wait in the Elder’s Recess. Go to it, hunter, and end its searing reign!
Characteristics: Brutal elder dragons wreathed in flames that spit blazing fire. Teostra are of such a fierce and deadly nature that the Guild closely monitors their movements.
Useful Information: The black scale dust, Teostra scatters will spread over a wide area until it finally explodes. Keep an eye on that, as well as the flames it occasionally shields itself in, and aim to stagger it with weapons possessing Elderseal capabilities.
Teostra Fight Guide
Main Fight Mechanics: Roar + Fireblight + Blastblight + Heat (Arena)
Roar: Large monsters have the ability to roar. This ability disrupts whatever action the hunter was doing (stun locks you briefly). There’s not much you can do about it in the early game (you’ll get better armor perks later).
Fireblight: Teostra is a monster that can deal fire element damage. This damage can cause Fireblight, a status effect. When being afflicted with Fireblight, a small flame will appear over the hunter’s health bar (two for Severe), and the red health bar will turn red and begin to decrease. To cure this affliction, simply roll into water once, roll on the ground three times, or consume a Nulberry.
Blastblight: Teostra can deal the Blastblight effect. This effect gradually builds up over time until an eventual explosion occurs. To rid yourself of the Blastblight effect, you will need to roll three times.
Heat (Arena): Teostra resides in the hot areas of Elder’ Recess. These areas are filled with hot magma which deals damage over time to you. To avoid this, you need to either consume a Cold Drink or wear the Flameproof Mantle. (for Elder’s Recess battle).
Besides Nergigante, I think Teostra is easily the second hardest boss in MHW. This monster is capable of one shotting you with its black scale dust explosion which can catch you off guard if you aren’t careful. Alongside this attack there are also these attacks below:
- Tailwhip – like other monsters, Teostra has a tailwhip attack it can use when you are behind it.
- Flying Smash – Flies up in the air and comes flying towards the hunter.
- Bite – Can bite you when near its head.
Teostra becomes inflamed throughout the fight. In this state, it surrounds itself with flames and uses flame elemental attacks. It will also use its black scale dust to inflict explosive/Blastblight damage. In this state these are the attacks it will use (uses ones above still):
- Flamethrower – Shoots a huge blast of flames in an arc fashion while on the ground. This blast has a long distance.
- Flame Arc – Similar to the flamethrower attack but in a shorter arc.
- Flying Flames – Basically a flying version of the flame arc.
- Black Scale Dust – Spreads black scale dust around the arena where it is fighting. Stepping into the dust can inflict Blasblight. After a few seconds, the black scale dust explodes.
- Black Scale Dust (Explosion) – Teostra stops, flies into the air an begins to charge. Once charged, it releases a huge blast of energy that can one shot you if you are low level.
Teostra can be a tough fight, especially since it deals fire and explosion elemental damage. If you go into this without being adequately prepared, you will more than likely die. With that being said, Teostra can be managed pretty easily with proper preparation. Here’s how to prepare for the Teostra fight:
- Eat up – Head into the fight having eaten a meal from the Canteen (do this for every fight to make life easier).
- Fire Mantle – The Fire Mantle is good for this fight, especially when Teostra goes into the areas with Lava.
- Cool Drink is a Must – Be sure to have cool drinks in your inventory and use them. This will help you a ton.
- Flahpods + Flashbugs – Bring Flashpods and Flashbugs. Save the Flashpods for when Teostra is using in the air for its Black Scale Dust explosion attack. This will cancel its attack every time.
- Drop the Boulder – If Teostra heads to the area where you find Dodogama in Elder’s Recess, it will wait beneath the large stalactite that can be dropped on it with a stinger shot.
- Hit The Face – Hitting Teostra in the face seems to be the sweet spot to get it to stagger more often.
- Elderseal – Elder dragons are more susceptible to weapons with elderseal.
- Exploit Elemental Weakness -As noted above, Teostra is especially weak to water & ice elemental damage.
- SOS – If you need to, send out an SOS and get some extra help from the MHW community.
Note: share your tips in the comments and I will add them here.
Teostra α+β Set (Rarity 8)
Human: All Materials are Teostra Carves/Drops unless noted.
- Crown – 5x Carapace, 2x Horn+, 2x Tail, 1x Firecell Stone*
- Mail –5x Carapace, 4x Webbing, 4x Powder, 1x Rathalos Plate*
- Vambraces – 4x Scale+, 4x Carapace, 4x Claw+, 4x Elder Dragon Bone*
- Coil – 4x Scale+, 4x Carapace, 1x Mane, 3x Elder Dragon Blood*
- Greaves – 3x Horn+, 6x Scale+, 2x Mane, 1x Gem
- 3 Pieces – Teostra Technique (Master’s Touch): Prevents your weapon from losing sharpness during critical hits.
Palico: All Materials are Teostra Carves/Drops unless noted.
- Mace – 1x Claw+
- Corona – 1x Mane
- Robe – 1x Carapace