Dodogama Guide: Monster Weakness, Carves & Rewards, Armor Sets – Monster Hunter World
Dodogama is another large monster you will face off against in Monster Hunter World. The creature is considered to be of the Fanged Wyvern species, and it has somewhat of a salamander like appearance. Dodogama is known for eating rocks which when combined with its saliva, become explosive projectiles. Judging by the creatures look and ability, it is possible that this creature is a reference to OOT’s Dodongo. To learn more about Dodogama, check out the Dodogama guide below.
Location: Elder’s Recess (HR Only)
- Footprints x 10pts
- Broken Rock x 20pts
- Old Footprints x 10pts
Species: Fanged Wyvern
- Thunder 3⭐
- Water 2⭐
- Ice 2⭐
Breakable/Severable (Weak Points): Tail (weak point), Head (weak point), Stomach
Material (Carves + High Rank Rewards):
M Keenbone 3⭐
Nourishing Extract 3⭐
Reward Money: NA – Optional
Hunting Quest Text: NA – Optional
Characteristics: A monster that devours rocks as its primary diet. The crystals it devours mix with its saliva to produce explosive minerals that it can spit at its enemies.
Useful Information: Dodogama collects explosive minerals in its mouth, but doing so weakens its massive jaw. Causing the minerals to detonate while they’re still in Dodogama’s mouth will create a great opening for an attack.
Main Fight Mechanics – Roar + Blastblight
Roar: Large monsters have the ability to roar. This ability disrupts whatever action the hunter was doing (stun locks you briefly). There’s not much you can do about it in the early game (you’ll get better armor perks later).
Blastblight: Dodogama can deal the Blastblight effect. This effect gradually builds up over time until an eventual explosion occurs. To rid yourself of the Blastbight effect, you will need to roll three times.
Dodogama is similar in design to Great Jagras, but posses more range attacks thanks to the rock eating it is capable of. With that being said, if you treat the fight the same, you shouldn’t have much trouble.
- Roll – Similar to Great Jagras. Rolls over on top of the hunter.
- Bomb Shot – When Dodogama consumes rocks, it gains the ability to shoot bombs out of its mouth (mouth glows red when it can do this). It can shoot a single bomb out of its mouth towards you.
- Charged Bomb Shot (vertical) – Charge shot that shoots a number of bombs out of its mouth in a straight line.
- Charged Bomb Shot (horiztonal) – Similar to the vertical attack, but shoots in a sweeping horizontal arc.
- Charge – Dodogama can quickly charge towards the hunter. This attack can cover a large distance.
- Stomach Smash – Raises up on its back legs and smashes down with its big belly.
- Tailwhip – Can use a tailwhip when the hunter is behind it.
Since Dodogama is similar to the Great Jagras in design, you can use a similar approach to this fight (with a few changes). Here are some tips to slay Dodogama.
- Eat up – Head into the fight having eaten a meal from the Canteen (do this for every fight to make life easier).
- Fire Mantle – The Fire Mantle is good for this fight, especially when Dodogama goes into the areas with Lava.
- Stay close to Dodogama’s sides – I’ve found sticking close to Dodogama’s sides to be incredibly effective. Just watch for the roll attack and move when needed.
- Exploit Elemental Weakness -As noted above, Great Jagras is especially weak to thunder elemental damage.
- Focus its Jaw after it has eaten – Focus striking the Dodogama’s jaw to cause a detonation. This will give you time to attack.
- SOS – If you need to, send out an SOS and get some extra help from the MHW community.
Note: share your tips in the comments and I will add them here.
Dodogama α+β Set (Rarity 5)
Human: All Materials are Dodogama Carves/Drops unless noted.
- Helm – 4x Scale+, 2x Hide+, 1x Jaw, 3x Gastodon Horn*
- Mail – 4x Hide+, 1x Tail, 3x Jaw, 1x Firecell Stone
- Vambraces – 4x Hide+, 4x Talon, 4x Scale+, 6x Fucium Ore
- Coil – 4x Scale+, 2x Hide+, 1x Jaw, 5x Gastodon Carapace*
- Greaves – 6x Hide+, 2x Tail, 4x Talon, 1x Wyvern Gem